Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pregnancy Reflections



Ninth Month

Girl or boy? Now that I've gotten to know you, I think you will
be a:
I really have no idea. I was so convinced it was a girl in the beginning but now for some reason I am thinking boy. Probably because that's the name we have not been able to agree on. Also because of the size, lower heart rate, and how active the baby is. Dad is convinced it is a girl so we will see who knows best.

My favorite names for you are:
Austyn for a girl or Kyler for a boy. Now if Dad would just agree on Kyler and get over the name Jacoby, we would be in good shape on names. I think I will get the final stay after all the hard work I've done the past 9 months! Otherwise we will have to go with Gavin which is a very popular name right now but at least we both like it.

The strangest name someone suggested is:
There have been a variety of strange names. Uncle Brent had some pretty crazy ideas and Lynch banned some interesting names. Our neighbor, Pedro, suggested his name. I think we'll pass on all of the above.

The most useful advice I've received is:
I'm not sure I can answer this question before the baby gets here. I guess so far it is Brett's advice to not work so much. Although now he is wanting me to not take any PTO so that I get paid for the entire 12 weeks of maternity leave. :) I think we will just have to sacrifice my pay for that last week because I am getting less productive and it is getting pretty uncomfortable to sit at a desk in dress pants for 40 hours each week.

I can't wait for your birth because:
There are just so many unknowns that I want to find out the answers to. How will it happen? Will it be a boy or a girl? When will it happen? We can't wait to meet our little one and bring him or her home. It is so hard to know what the experience will be like before it happens.

At this month's prenatal visit, I learned that:
The baby will probably be around 8 pounds at birth.

My hopes:
That we don't have any complications during labor and delivery. We want a healthy baby! Also that that day comes sooner than later. I really don't want to go all the way to my due date (or past it)!

My fears:
That there will be any complications that put the baby at risk for developmental problems or disabilities.

Eighth Month

My pregnancy classes are:
A little scary, fairly informative, and one part was just strange. We found out a lot about what to expect during labor. But we were a caught off-guard a little when we learned a relaxation exercise (meditating and envisioning yourself on a beach having contractions) rather than the traditional breathing exercises. That was a little disappointing but I guess we'll figure it out whent the time comes.

In the classes, I've learned how to:
Time contractions while in the sand. :)

What I've bought for you so far:
My first purchase was a Nebraska hat. Brett's first buy was a t-shirt (size 2T - it was the smallest they had) from Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Brett and I also bought some onesies, a bib, and a little puppy stuffed animal. We've also bought many necessities - diapers, a mattress, storage baskets, a travel system, and a dresser. It has only just begun!

What other people have bought for you:
Your first gift was a Christmas present from Grandma Debbie. She got a little toy that is supposed to be a baby favorite. Then she got you a stuffed animal - a soft little white kitty - for Valentine's Day. Grandma and Grandpa Brack came into town with a soft little lamb that plays music. And this weekend we had a shower where you received lots and lots of books, toys, clothes, and some furniture.

The strangest food craving I've had during this pregnancy is:
I really don't think I have had any cravings. I have always liked sweets and that is the main thing I am wanting so I don't think that counts. I did eat a lot of peanut buttter and jelly sandwiches throughout the pregnancy but I think that is mostly due to convenience and lack of energy to make anything else.

At my prenatal visit, I learned:
That the baby is now head-down. Somehow he or she found enough room to change position. So now a c-section may not be necessary.

My hopes:
That we get through these next several weeks with no complications and that it goes by quickly. I am ready to hold my healthy baby!

My fears:
That there will be some sort of complication that will put stress on the baby.

Seventh Month

I've started thinking about the nursery:
But we are just not getting too far. It is going to be pretty plain at first, especially not knowing if you will be pretty in pink or all boy. We are going to get the room cleared out and the carpets cleaned in the upcoming weeks. Then after the shower we will get everything furnished and put together.

I've been dreaming about you:
In the beginning of my pregnancy, I thought for sure I was having a little girl. All of my dreams were about baby girls and I just couldn't imagine anything different. But now in my dreams I have a baby boy so I'm not so sure. Once I even had a dream that I had twins!

I used to love food! Now I avoid:
I really don't have any food aversions or cravings that are different than before I was pregnant. I have noticed in the past weeks that even though my belly is much bigger, my stomach is getting smaller. I get full really fast and have to eat more often.

I never thought pregnancy would make me:
Emotional. Okay, so maybe I did think that but it catches me off guard. I get angry and sad at times when I normally would be able to brush something off my shoulders. I am also a little more obsessive about baby things than I thought I would be. It is consuming my life already!

I can't wait to:
Meet this little person and find out if it is my son or daughter and see what he or she looks like. I might be crazy but I hope these next couple of months fly by. I also can't wait to see Brett's reaction. It will be a very exciting and special moment!

My prenatal visit this month taught me:
The baby is still growing exactly on track and appears to be healthy and normal. I was also able to find out exactly where he or she is positioned - the back is along the top of my belly (bottom of my ribcage), the head is on my left down lower, and the legs and feet are on my lower right side.

My hopes:
That we have a healthy baby and that everything goes smoothly. Also that the next couple months of waiting go by fairly quickly.

My fears:
As always, I fear that something could go wrong. We've made it this far and it would be crushing if something happened to this little one.

Sixth Month


Buying maternity clothes was:
Awful! I hate shopping as it is and maternity shopping is really bad. The clothes are harder to find than I thought too. You would be surprised how few stores carry them.

The biggest change in my body has been:
The obvious... my belly is getting bigger and bigger. Brett reminds me every day!

My favorite change in my body has been:
I don't think I really have one. The changes are such a pain in terms of clothes - I wear the same 5 things to work each week. If I could wear sweats everyday I would probably like my belly a little more - it is definitely reassuring to feel that little body moving around throughout the day.

What I never thought would change was:
My bootie... I have never had any junk in the trunk before. :)

At this month's prenatal visit I learned that:
The baby weighs 1 pound 10 ounces at 24 weeks.

My hopes:
That we will deliver a healthy baby at the beginning of May (or later as long as he or she is healthy).

My fears:
That we will have complications.

Fifth Month

The first time I felt you kick:
I had been thinking I was feeling things but wasn't sure if it was my imagination or really kicks. On Christmas night as I was feeling some funny movements, I put my hand on my belly and felt a kick on my hand. What an awesome Christmas gift!

The strangest food craving I've had is:
I really haven't had many cravings through my pregnancy. I would say that I crave more "good for you" food and am less hungry than normal for sweets... which is crazy for me!

This month's prenatal visit taught me that:
The baby is growing at a normal rate and everything looks fine. No more trips to the specialist unless something else comes up later. (Keeping our fingers crossed!)

My hopes:
Same as always... that the baby goes as close to term as possible, that the baby will grow without restriction, and that we do not have any major complications. We just want a normal, healthy, and happy baby!

My fears:
My biggest fear is having the baby pre-term. I also worry a little about growth restriction and other complications we could have. Although right now we are very optimistic and haven't heard any really bad news!


Fourth Month


What I least expected with this pregnancy was:
For everything to be so normal with the baby. I sort of expected a miscarriage or something to be wrong with the baby but so far, the baby is very healthy as far as we can tell even though he or she is trying to scare me. :) I also didn't realize how much my sleep cycle would be disturbed.

The best bit of advice I've received is:
To drink a lot more water. My nurse told me this and I have been trying. Haven't received much other advice...

What has changed the most in my life with this pregnancy is:
I have had to work in a LOT of doctor appointments without telling anyone the real reason why. I'm sure my bosses/managers and co-workers were wondering what is going on. I finally told my boss at 16 weeks so I won't have to sneak out anymore.

What made me realize that I was really pregnant was:
My stomach is starting to get bigger. Also, I have to pee a lot more often. I am waking up at least once during the night to go, or really early in the morning.

This month's ultrasound was:
The ultrasounds have been pretty good. The good thing is the baby is measuring normal and still moving around and the heart is beating strong. The not-so-good is that the baby is breech and the placenta is not in the best place (although my OB said that the placenta thing is normal for this point in the pregnancy - and so is breech for people with normal anatomies).

At my prenatal visit this month I discovered that:
The first trimester screen came back negative. That means that the chances of having a severe genetic abnormality are very low. Also, everything is holding together well so no bed rest for now. Yay!

My hopes:
That the baby will be fine and not have any growth restrictions. Also that we go as close to full term as possible.

My fears:
I am trying to stay positive. But my fears are basically the opposite of my hopes.


Third Month


What I'm enjoying the most about my pregnancy so far is:
Knowing that everything is going well and is normal as possible for me. Each appointment is just a total relief.

Names that I've been thinking of:
Girl names: Austyn, Ava, Julia ("Dad" only likes Austyn)
Boy names: Carter, Damon, Kyler

Girl or boy? I think you will be a:
For some reason I am just sure it is a girl. I am putting all of my childhood photos into a scrapbook (since my baby book has been falling apart for years) and I almost bought a ton of baby girl scrapbook stuff since I could use it again on my baby... until I realized I didn't know that it was a girl for sure.

At my prenatal visit this month I found out that:
The heart is still beating and when my stomach starts to grow people may be able to tell that the baby is on the right. Also that we will have around 10 ultrasounds by the time the baby comes... the one benefit to having a high-risk or abnormal pregnancy.

My hopes:
That everything goes well.

My fears:
That something will go wrong. I am still too afraid to buy any baby things.

Second Month

The hardest thing for me to give up is:
Drinking... mostly because it makes it hard to hide my pregnancy.

This month I told:
We decided to tell my parents for my dad's 50th birthday. I also hinted to a co-worker who had been observant enough to figure it out.

They reacted by:
My parents were shocked and extremely excited. My co-worker was really happy for us and was interested in hearing all about it which was nice since I haven't been able to talk to anyone about the pregnancy yet at this point.

This month at my prenatal visit I learned that:
The baby has a heartbeat already... and we were able to hear it!

New pregnancy symptoms I had this month:
Nausea and "the twins" were a little sensitive at first.

My hopes:
That we have a healthy baby in May and that the pregnancy goes somewhat fast... I am excited!

My fears:
A lot could go wrong in the next eight months. We could have a miscarriage or issues with pre-term labor or breech presentation at the end.


First Month


I started thinking I might be pregnant when:
I was feeling just a little different than normal and I thought since I had been on medications the previous months my cycle would be on time.

I found out I was pregnant when I:
I didn't find out until my second month when I took another pregnancy test and had it confirmed by going to the doctor.

I felt:
Shocked!!! How in the world did this happen? I mean, I know how it happened, but we didn't think it was possible for us!

The first person I told was:
Brett.

They reacted by:
Being very skeptical. It was hard to believe and we knew there were risks.

The first ultrasound was:
Again, not until the second month. But it was amazing. "Dad" was shocked that we could hear a heartbeat - there really was a baby in there. And very excited when he found out it "happened in Vegas."

At my first prenatal visit I learned that:
We were about two weeks earlier than what we had calculated. (Again, this was in the second month when we found out.)

My baby will be born:
Hopefully around May 23, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your comments!