Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

Today is Brett's first Father's Day. He is an awesome dad to Kyler. I can tell that Kyler really loves his daddy too. He is very comfortable in Brett's arms and is able to relax and fall asleep very quickly - much faster than when in my arms! I know how lucky we are to have Brett as a husband and father and I hope he knows how much he is loved and appreciated.

Kyler Loves Daddy!

We did our Father's Day activity on Friday evening. We went to a T-Bones baseball game with another couple and their little girl. Kyler did awesome during the game. He slept through part of it and then woke up to take in the sights and sounds. He was looking around quite a bit. It was pretty hot and humid but he didn't seem to mind (we were in the shade so didn't have to worry about the sun). And the home team won which was a nice change of pace from what we normally get at a Royals game.

Ky and B at the T-Bones game.

Kyler was one month old yesterday and he is changing more and more all the time. I am anxious to see his weight and height in a couple of weeks at his six-week checkup. I can tell that he is a little heavier and he is already starting to outgrow some of the tiny newborn clothes (part of that is due to the bulkier cloth diapers). He is still pretty little though because he doesn't fit into many of the 0-3 month clothes yet. He is paying more attention to people and gives me more smiles and coos, almost little laughs sometimes.

Hanging out in the swing, watching the mobile.

We gave Kyler his first bottle last night. I had pumped about 5 ounces so that I could go out with some of my out-of-town college friends and since I had a powerful margarita, we bottle-fed him for two feedings. He did great and didn't even mind that the milk was a little cold. He made sort of a funny face at first and then chowed down. His dad even got to feed him for the first time which was pretty neat. Brett didn't want to at first but had a pretty big smile on his face as he was feeding his little boy.

Brett feeding Kyler his first bottle.

Lastly, an update on the cloth diapering. Many people ask how that is going (I'm sure because it seems pretty crazy and old-school). It is going really well and I am glad we decided to do it. It has taken a while to really get it all down but I think I've got it mastered now. The diapering system I use are known as prefold diapers with a diaper cover. The prefold diaper is a rectangular piece of cloth that has a thicker layer in the center. These come in different sizes. The diaper goes on first. The back is kept flat and then I fold the front into thirds and pull it up to Kyler's tummy. Then the two back corners are brought around each hip and fastened with this great tool called a Snappi (it is basically replacing diaper pins and is way way easier than pinning). Once that is on, I just put on a diaper cover which basically goes on like a disposable diaper. It has a velcro closure. The trick here is to make sure that the cloth diaper is tucked in around the legs and the top of the cover so that the wetness says in. I wash diapers every other day and we have even been using cloth when we are out and about or traveling.

Example of cloth diaper using Snappi (this is not Kyler).

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your comments!