Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Day at the Farm

Today was a pretty nice day, a sunny 85 degrees. We were up early this morning (thanks to a certain someone) so I decided it would be a good day to visit the Deanna Rose Farmstead. We packed up the stroller and were out the door by 8:45.


We got to the farm right when it opened around 9:00 and headed for the cow barn. There were a couple calves lying in the hay. Kyler wanted out of the stroller to check them out. He was pretty fascinated. We also got to see the mama cow get milked and learned a few farm things.


As we ventured around, we saw lots of animals like goats, bunnies, pigs, ducks, and sheep. Kyler's favorite were the ducks. We walked across a path next to a area where there were ducks in a fence. After we passed by, Kyler stopped and turned around wanting to go back the other way. When I looked back, the ducks had crawled through the fence and were on the path looking for extra feed that the kids had dropped. I grabbed a quarter and got some of our own. We coaxed the ducks closer to us with the feed and got them to eat out of our hands. Kyler loved this and unfortunately since I was flying solo I was unable to get any picture or video.


There was a little bitty bench in front of a waterfall and small pond where some more ducks were swimming. I got Kyler to sit and take a quick picture, but he was busy watching the worker.


As we walked around, I had noticed that you could bottle feed the baby goats but when we went by, the place where you get the bottles wasn't open. So after we saw the rest of the animals I peeked over and noticed it was open. We got a bottle and went to feed the baby goats. Ky was tickled! He even held the bottle all by himself and I got some cute pictures.




After the goats, we stopped for a dish of ice cream to hold us over until we got home for lunch. Then we played on the playgrounds and packed up. It was a nice morning, not too hot, and plenty of sun. The best part is that we hardly spent any money - free admission on weekdays, $1 for the goat milk bottle, around $1 for other animal feed, and $2.25 for our dish of ice cream. I would say we got our money's worth!

1 comment:

We would love to hear your comments!