The turning point occurred last week. I had been putting him in cloth diapers for a couple of reasons. First, Myelle was wearing them so it wasn't much more trouble to just have two in them at once. Second, they allow Kyler to feel the wetness so he doesn't like them as much. There were a couple of mornings where he would wake up and start playing without me even waking up. During that time he would dirty his diaper and not let me know. He had a couple of pretty bad diaper rashes as a result. I kept explaining that this is why he needs to start going on the potty chair so he won't get ouchies on his butt. Last Thursday morning he did this again so after I washed him up I left him bare bottomed to help the rash heal up. And during that time I got him to go potty on the potty chair.
I left him mostly bare bottomed Thursday and Friday and he occasionally would have underwear on. He was doing pretty good about going on the potty chair. I constantly asked him if he had to go and reminded him not to go in his underwear (or on my floor if he was bare bottomed). We spent lots of time on the potty chair reading books and trying to get the potty to come out. And when he did we would go crazy praising him and he would get a tootsie roll (we have a huge gallon bag full from the parade this summer that we've been using as potty bribes). We were putting him in cloth diapers at night and he would usually dirty them in the mornings before we got him changed.
Over the weekend he started doing even better. He was in underwear pretty much all the time even when sleeping. By Sunday, he only had one accident after his nap when we didn't make him go to the potty chair right away. He was also having trouble pooping on the potty chair and would start to go in his underwear when we would catch him and run him to the potty chair. Starting Sunday night, he did awesome even at night. He would wake up asking for water so I would go in and ask him if he needed to go on the potty chair. He did and I would get him a drink while he was sitting there. So for the past two nights he hasn't had an accident even at night. He is actually waking up to go on the potty chair which I think is pretty amazing.
He has kept his underwear dry since Sunday after his nap at this point (and it is Tuesday morning). He did start to poop in his underwear earlier this morning but then later went on the potty chair so hopefully we have broken that barrier and we are on our way to being fully potty trained. It is great not having to change two kids' diapers. The next thing is to get him to go on a regular toilet which I think is probably going to be a big battle since Kyler is very stubborn about change (and he sits on his potty so it will be a big change for him). And we also need to work on teaching him to pull his pants down and up on his own so he is completely independent. For now, I'm happy with where he's at and we are so proud of him for finally taking this step. He even said yesterday, "I don't want to wear baby diapers anymore." Yay!
Update 1/25/13: Kyler's last accident was on Tuesday after his nap. He was too busy looking for something and must have forgotten to run to the potty chair. It is now Friday morning. He has the potty mastered and even asked to use the big toilet a couple of times (and was successful). He also seems to have gotten the hang of going #2 as he went twice yesterday, both on the potty without me forcing him to sit and try to go. Instead he asked to go and was able to. Last night he actually got up out of bed on his own, went to the bathroom, pulled his pants down and went potty. I only woke up because he was asking for a drink while sitting on the pot. He still needs help pulling his pants back up most time, and getting them down when he has his jeans on. We are really in disbelief about how well he's doing. I think we'll pack up the diapers today and I don't even see a reason to keep the plastic pants out since he's done so well at night.
Update 1/25/13: Kyler's last accident was on Tuesday after his nap. He was too busy looking for something and must have forgotten to run to the potty chair. It is now Friday morning. He has the potty mastered and even asked to use the big toilet a couple of times (and was successful). He also seems to have gotten the hang of going #2 as he went twice yesterday, both on the potty without me forcing him to sit and try to go. Instead he asked to go and was able to. Last night he actually got up out of bed on his own, went to the bathroom, pulled his pants down and went potty. I only woke up because he was asking for a drink while sitting on the pot. He still needs help pulling his pants back up most time, and getting them down when he has his jeans on. We are really in disbelief about how well he's doing. I think we'll pack up the diapers today and I don't even see a reason to keep the plastic pants out since he's done so well at night.
Woohoo! What a big boy
ReplyDeleteAwesome! Sounds like he was just ready this time around. That's great that he does so well at night too. I'm not ready to let Landon go all night without a diaper yet.
ReplyDelete