Kyler started preschool this week. He was assigned to bring snacks for the first week so on Monday we went shopping and he helped pick some things out. That night we packed his backpack, got his snacks ready, and picked out his outfit. I helped him make a list of all the things he had to do in the morning to get ready for school and drew pictures for illustration. Tuesday morning he got all ready to go and even let me snap a couple of pictures. (I had to convince him by telling him I needed a picture to look at when I missed him.) He refused to wear his backpack on the way to school.
When we got there, he was a little freaked out by a little girl who was crying pretty hard after her mom left but once we explained that she just missed her mom he was fine. When I picked him up he was wearing his backpack, which looked gigantic on him. The teacher said he did fine but did not want his hand painted to do a little art project. I thought maybe it was because he doesn't like to get messy but it may have just been him being defiant. In the car he told me it was because he wanted purple (which I don't think was even an option). We took him to lunch at his favorite place - Spanky's, the local bar. He did not want to tell us anything about school.
Today he did even better. He thought he was pretty big walking into the school with the big kids. Many of them know who he is and say hi to him which he also loves. He knew just what to do when we got to his classroom. His teacher had warned me that they were finger painting today so I did my best to convince Kyler to try it. When I got home he did tell me that he painted with his fingers and with a paintbrush. Later on he told me that they read books, sang a song about an alligator, played dress-up (he was a mailman), and that his friend at school is Adrienne (although he was not able to pronounce it well at first). It's a lot of fun watching him get to experience something new and exciting. I think (and hope) that it will be a great school year for him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
OMG, seriously the cutest! What a big boy!
ReplyDeleteWow! All my friends' kiddos are starting preschool already. I can't believe it. He looks so cute. Glad the first week went well.
ReplyDelete