For those of you who don't already know, Kyler is going to be a big brother! His baby brother or sister should be here at the very beginning of December.
We have been calling the baby "Baby Pat" because he or she was conceived on St. Patrick's Day and Pat can be a gender-neutral name. Kyler randomly mentions Baby Pat and it's kind of funny the things he will say. He obviously isn't old enough to really understand what's going on. He knows where Baby Pat is and will touch my tummy when we ask him. At first he would point to his own tummy but now seems to understand it is just Mama's tummy that houses the baby. Sometimes he asks if Baby Pat wants a kiss and will kiss my tummy (so sweet!). And once in a while he will ask funny things like whether Baby Pat needs a napkin. As we have gathered some of his old baby things together, I told him they were for Baby Pat. So he knows that certain blankets, etc. are Baby Pat's.
If he sees belongings of other babies he will tell us that it is Baby Pat's (and sometimes that other babies are Baby Pat). When we go to a new place, like the lake house we stayed at last weekend, he sometimes asks if that is Baby Pat's house. So he clearly doesn't have a good understanding of what is going to happen in 6 months.
I asked him if we could give Baby Pat his bed and he could get a big boy bed. He's not set on that yet. He has also told me that Baby Pat can play with some toys like his race cars, but not others like the motorcycles.
I really think Kyler will be a great big brother. He is so sweet and is smitten by other babies that he is around. He's also a good helper when it comes to bringing me something, so it will be nice to have his help in getting the baby's paci, wipes, blanket, and all those other things we will need. I'm sure he will have some jealously about sharing Mama and I am particularly worried about how he will feel about me holding the baby so often while nursing. But it will all work out and Kyler won't remember life without his little brother or sister.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's so awesome. We hope to be going through all of that with Landon sometime soon. We'll see. :) I'm glad we'll be closer to you guys so we'll hopefully get to see each other more often.
ReplyDeleteMarissa and Ryan are 20 months apart and she did AMAZING when Ryan was born. She was sooo proud of him. It was a little challenging sometimes when I was trying to nurse the baby and she'd want something, so I probably distracted her with the TV a little too much!
ReplyDeleteKyler will be an awesome big brother! :) I'll never forget the sweet way he held Eva when she was just a few weeks old. He has a big heart - can't wait to see him interact with your little one!
ReplyDelete