At my first appointment with the infertility doctor on April 20, 2009, I had a physical exam, an ultrasound, and blood tests. I had done quite a bit of research on fertility issues in the past due to my uterine abnormality so it did not surprise me when I was diagnosed with PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome). This was diagnosed in part by the ultrasound which showed many follicles on each ovary and in part by the blood test which showed that my blood sugar was lower than normal. I has previously suspected that I might have this because I experience some of the other symptoms, one of which was an irregular menstrual cycle - I would go anywhere from 45 days to 9 months between periods. PCOS is a very common cause of infertility in women and is basically caused by a hormone imbalance. This causes the eggs to not fully develop or release from the ovaries - which creates the follicles that were shown in the ultrasound.
The next appointment I had was an MRI on April 29th. The purpose of this scan was to determine which type of mullerian anomaly I had. Depending on the type, it is sometimes necessary to have surgery in order to increase the chances for a successful pregnancy. I was diagnosed with a didelphic uterus which was great news because the pregnancy outcomes are the best and there is not a surgical procedure to correct this defect. On May 4th I had an IVP performed to look at my kidneys because many people with mullerian anomalies also have kidney abnormalities. A lot of people have extra kidneys. The IVP showed that my kidneys were normal - I have two and both are functioning.
On June 3rd I had one of the most painful procedures I have experienced. It was an HSG where they basically insert dye into the cervix which is pushed through the uterus and eventually into the fallopian tubes. This test was a check to make sure my fallopian tubes were not blocked and that an egg could pass from the ovaries to my uterus. Because of the pain I was in and the difficulty in accessing the right cervix, only the left side was tested but it showed that that tube was in fact open.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
We would love to hear your comments!